Sunday, February 21, 2016

Didn't see that coming

A little site, known only to me, gone now. This was part of the cloverleaf where Concord Rd crosses Rt 3 in Billerica.
Probably state owned land. Did they consider the possibility of disturbing archeology? Of course not because they do not know about it. 
This is as good a time as any to point out again that secrecy about rock pile sites contributes to ignorance and ignorance is the primary cause of site destruction. Those who advocate secrecy are not doing us, or site protection in general, any favors. 

5 comments :

Norman said...

I agree with you completely. Education is the best way save these sites.

Curtiss Hoffman said...

Peter -
You provided me with locations of TWO sites within that cloverleaf. Are both of them gone?

pwax said...

It is all one site in three parts. One was bulldozed but I expect a second part (with ground piles) will be getting trashed out by the machine traffic there. The third part is a larger rectangular mound (smeared out) that is outside the cloverleaf and between Rt 3 and the Nutting Pond.

Curtiss Hoffman said...

Yes, I have that one, too.

pwax said...

I should admit, I did not go out of my way to tell anyone of this site.