Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Arrowhead Fragments

Chris Pittman said in he wanted to see these broken arrowhead fragments, so here are some of them:These are mostly "Brewerton" points. In the bottom row are two items I found in the last couple of weekends. A quartz stemmed point and a gray rhyolite Brewerton. The upper row are all darker rhyolites which, I am told, come from Quincy/Saugus or from Westwood.

Over the years I have found lots of fragments which I probably should put back in the field for the next person. But I keep them, hoping to join some pieces back together someday. I actually have done it a couple times.

5 comments :

Chris Pittman said...

These are great, thanks! Lovely material and I would be happy to find any of that stuff on a day out looking. The two points at top right I would consider to be really great finds, the tip damage is so common and does not detract too much, to me. That recent broken Brewerton would have been a big one! I couldn't bear the thought of putting anything back... I would hope that with increasing development, future enthusiasts will have plent of new places to look, even if they are just construction sites where these things are being bulldozed into oblivion.

Scotty Scott's Contracting said...

my buddies are big rock hounds here in missouri....ssshhhh I'll keep your secret....

pwax said...

The secret is not about arrowheads but about Indian burial grounds. You have any of those in Missouri?

Chris Pittman said...

Just saw the video now, this content was blocked on my work computer for some reason... That is an incredible collection and thanks for making the video. There are some really great artifacts there. I can't believe you keep them in a basket! There is a great variety of material there and I am a little jealous, the vast majority of what I find is quartz. I really like the stemmed bases very much. Really that is a great collection in its own right.

pwax said...

(Writing later in 2018)
You are too kind Chris. I would be happy to trade anything(s) in the video for one of your little quartz beauties.