Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Roadside Attractions - summary

For fun, these are the sites that are along the road or within a hundred (or maybe two hundred) yards from the road - following the path of my daily 40 mile commute. Since I drive along looking at the woods to either side of the road, I have had plenty of opportunity, in the last 4 years, to spot likely patches of woods - which I would then explore.

Not counting sites that are split in two by the highway I get roughly 14 sites (I forgot a few in my previous post). Let's be generous and assume the distance I am considering to either side of the road is ~1/4 mile, so this summary comprises (1/2)x40 = 20 square miles. According to Wikipedia, Massachusetts is about 10,000 square miles. So if this roadside site density is representative, then there should be roughly 7,000 rock pile sites in the state. I suspect this is an over-estimate.

No comments :