Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Effigy with quartz - trying to make sense of it.

I tried to draw the rocks in the effigy with quartz (shown in an earlier post by Mike H about a Serpentine wall in the Berkshires). I tried to draw the rocks as I see them in the picture and noticed a few things. You see how the quartz rocks are both pointed at the lower end? They are a similar shape. I also noticed the two rocks on either side of the lower piece of quartz. They both have a kind of "fold" running vertically (in the pictures). Given the symmetry of the structure, I am wondering of this fold is not a deliberate part of the design. If so, then...come on...that's not a turtle. What is it? Is it two different somethings?

5 comments :

Norman said...

I've thought all along that we're seeing two different stone effigies, based on the two pointed quartz stones, but they probably represent the same animal: one emerging or following after the other. At this stage, this is like a Rorschach test: we can each see something different in the arrrangement of stones.

pwax said...

I guess we could all see something different or we might agree on some of the possibilities. So far, I've got nothing.

pwax said...

In connection with it maybe being two effigies, one following the other: let me recall that one of the Horned Serpent ("Uketena") effiges from Westford, had another creature that seemed to follow it. [Search on "ffc looks at horned creature"]

Tim MacSweeney said...

Toes or claws???
"Emerging" was also a first impression...

pwax said...

New pictures are coming.