Thursday, July 09, 2009

Small Rock Pile Sites along Sawmill Brook - Estabrook Woods Concord, MA

It is rare that I get to add a new "dot" to my map of sites in Concord but I was lucky to find a couple of small rock pile sites along the brook that empties from Hutchins Pond, northeast of Punkatasset Hill in my hometown, Concord.

It was raining and overcast so the pictures, without flash, are blurry.And, while I am making excuses, the piles were not much to look at either. Buried in the moss, hidden in the ferns.Or, with trees growing up from them.
In one place I saw a bit of quartz but the photo was too blurred to show it. Still, seeing new rock piles in Concord is a treat. I found them in two groups along what is labeled Sawmill Brook on the topo map. This didn't used to all be woods. I saw a small stone bridge, so once there were roads through here.I doubt anyone has been here recently.

No comments :