Sunday, April 26, 2009

A rectangular stone knife from Eastern Concord, MA

There are three arrowhead hunting seasons: in the spring, after they plow and it rains; in the fall after the harvest is brought in and it rains; and after the winter when the snow melts. The arrowhead I found a few weeks ago was from the winter season but the spring season just started, so I went out to see what was visible - at a place I go. I got lucky.The material is a mottled rhyolite formed with chunks of striated gray material in a matrix of black material with some smaller white crystals. In the first picture, some rust stains near the top of the rectangle suggest hafting. I wonder if it is the same as the material in this point from a few weekends ago (click here) which I found in the same place.

3 comments :

pwax said...

That bit about hafting is probably wrong. The tool fits well in the hand and could be the stains are from use.

pwax said...

I have to admit, I am really pleased about this find. It is big and a nice material.

Chris Pittman said...

I am really jealous of this amazing find. What a beautiful stone tool.