Monday, November 17, 2008

A small rock-on-rock grouping - Harvard, MA

This is from Harvard but it reminds me of this (from this post about the Danforth Brook area of Bolton.) The idea of a grouping is re-enforced.

Not counting individual rocks there are six visible structures in this photo forming a sort of "V" with the large rock-on-rock in the foreground as the apex. There may be a few more rock-on-rocks but that is about it. Go all the way to the end of the right-hand side of the "V" to find this pile (behind a small sapling in the above picture)
Here is a look back at the large rock-on-rock:You, my collegues, find and show pictures of marvelous rock pile sites. Do you also find these small inconspicuous ones?

1 comment :

theseventhgeneration said...

In the areas where I go in NY we have a lot of fern cover that hides small piles. I only find myself taking pictures of small rock piles when I find a larger structure, like a large rock on rock or cairn, nearby. They are also very susceptible to damage from logging so, unless they're within a site with larger structures, I think many of these smaller sites are lost.

It's something that is hard to explain, too, when reporting about a site. You know if you're walking over rocks that are buried by leaves and ferns. A sign, to me, that the agricultural usefulness of an area was limited and makes me wonder why "these rocks underfoot" weren't taken to build a stone wall nearby. You can feel them, but you can't see them well enough to photograph them.