Monday, March 17, 2008

Getting back off that hill...

...wasn't so easy because it was overcast and beginning to rain. It had already rained a bit earlier. When I started back from the hilltop site I have been reporting for the last week, I realized that the compass I carry around (for occasionally examining alignment directions) could also be used for direction finding. Who knew! Unfortunately I did not think of using the compass at the beginning of the walk so I did not know what direction would carry me in the reverse direction from the one I came in along. I did not want to retrace my steps so I took my best guess and headed out. Each time I passed through a band of white pine saplings, I picked up a few more drops of water at the ends of the pine needles, getting a bit more wet.

Since I was trying to get out of the woods, it came as an almost un-welcome distraction that I stumbled on another rock pile.
It was part of another cluster of rock piles. This time right behind the houses near the little pond in the aerial photo I showed at the beginning of the discussion. These were scattered about on the little bumps and hollows on a gradual slope with springs.
All the piles were pretty thoroughly broken down and I did not see any special characteristics. No white rocks, no strange shapes. I was on my way out of there anyway; maybe I did not notice. Certainly there were some things worth a closer look:
Also, I showed you that stone circle? This is too wide to be a fire circle. Right next to the little pond (which was man-made), this afforded some view of the surrounding rock piles.
What do you think about that? I find it hard to imagine a context for it.

No comments :