Thursday, February 07, 2008

Stone wall on an outcrop

by theseventhgeneration

This is a site I found at the very end of a hike, on the opposite side of a creek. From a distance, I thought it might be a platform cairn, but it is a stone wall on an outcrop.



This is the other side of the wall, looking 'upstream'.



From what I could tell, the wall ended here:



There is something interesting at this end of the stone wall. I'm not sure if this could be considered a see through niche. From this photo, it appears to have some relationship to the stone wall. You can see the white hump in the background is where the stone wall comes, gradually, to an end.



It has a good sized opening, all the way through:



This is looking from the opposite side. The opening is down low so it's not something you can look through easily.



It's an area I need to come back to when the snow is gone. I wasn't able to follow the wall further downstream on this trip. The creek here is in the Susquehanna watershed. About a mile south of this site is the Delaware watershed.

2 comments :

pwax said...

It is an interesting feature. Maybe something shines through the hole at a certain moment.

theseventhgeneration said...

It's possible. The snow made it difficult to tell where the ground level was on each side. I didn't check it on the compass while I was there, but looking back at the map, the creek runs east-west and the "niche" opening is roughly parallel to the creek.